Monday, July 11, 2011

Session Break Number One

So here I am on my first session break. During Orientation I volunteered to work for any session breaks that I was needed, but I was very relieved that I wasn't called in this time. We've been going almost non-stop since June 20th, and it was just time for a break.

I thought that now would be a good time to just reflect a bit on the things I learned during the first session.

Lessons Learned:





  • No cell phone = Not so bad.


  • "Play the chill card."


  • Check their shirts and pockets before washing their clothes.


  • Many "minute warnings" makes one's cabin on time.


  • It's just as important to tell the girls what they're doing well as it is to remind them of behaviors they should change.


  • Make cabin expectations crystal clear from day one.


  • 14-year-old girls want my approval... even if they don't.


  • Meal chores must be assigned.


I never want to forget...





  • What it felt like to conduct a band.


  • The experience of working with Dr. Matthew Westgate


  • The warm fuzzies of sitting in the sunshine in Stewart Shell listening to the Symphony Band's dress rehearsal.


  • Hugs from campers.


  • My camper's 14th birthday.


  • Dancing with fellow counselors at the camper dance.


There's so much more that I could write about, but sometimes the words don't come. My overall impressions: I did a pretty good job on round one, and with the lessons that I've learned, I'll do a really good job in session two!





1 comment: